1. Peel and have the carrots lengthwise. Cut them crosswise into 1/4-inch thick half circles. There should be approximately 4 cups. Set aside.
2. Heat the butter in a medium pot. Add the shallots and sauté until golden brown about 6 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the stock, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg to taste; bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Transfer the carrot mixture to a blender. Add the milk and puree. Add hot stock to thin the soup. If necessary, return the soup to the pot and reheat.
5. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and garish with crème fraîche and drizzle with truffle oil.
6 Serve immediately.